18 October 2009

our new curtains.

i finally finished our curtains for the front room and kitchen! we live in a little studio apartment. so, when i say front room, i mean our bedroom/living room. and, we live in a basement with miniature windows and proportions that no one sells in curtain form, so, i definitely had to make the curtains myself. i was so excited, because i haven't really gotten into sewing yet. i mean, i made a couple of quilts for my laurel project when i was 17...that's almost 10 years ago! so, my mother-in-law, nancy came over and gave me a quick tutorial of my sewing machine, and then got me started with my kitchen curtains. she's an amazing seamstress, and has an alterations business. (thanks momma nancy)!
i think they turned out quite nice!
i love the color - that wonderful not yellow but not green (as my darling friend ashley has so eloquently put it).
that headboard is my next big project, by the by. i found it on craigslist and burke got it for my birthday. (back in march!) we've painted it already (it started out as a nasty light oak), and i think it looks great at this point. but, once we can justify spending another little chunk of money on it, we're going to add padding covered in beautiful fabric. you'll see! it will be fabulous!
i love our kitchen curtains. they're just so cute and playful.
the best part about doing this project is that i'm no longer scared of the sewing machine! i've jumped on and used that thing to fix all this random stuff, which i never would have had the guts to do before. it opens a world of possibilities! i love it.

2 comments:

Ashley Thalman said...

Want to make me some? I am not even kidding. I will pay!

By they way- who are you? and where have you been?

Elise said...

Pretty fabrics! Where do you find cute fabric like that?